Tuesday, September 12, 2006

New-to-me Car

Last night I replaced my old Nissan Sentra. The odometer stopped working a long time ago. I estimate the mileage to be about 250,000 - 300,000 miles. It is missing the front bumper. The gas tank cap doesn't close. The steering wheel flakes bad. The windows don't go down. It has no A/C. It's been in a few fender-benders recently. The engine is making bad noises. The timing chain is about to break, and on the way home from looking at the new car, the alternator died. It is finally time to retire the Sentra.

Last night, I got a 1987 Nissan Altima with 102,000 miles on it. Everything works, running great! Leather interior, amazing custom sound system! It's much bigger, has a sun roof, it's beautiful. But generally, it's the same car. It feels the same, looks the same. Everything is in the same place. It's just bigger and nicer and newer. I like it a lot.

Of course, it is not a new car, and repairs are inevitable. We expect a new timing chain in the next year or so, but overall, it's a huge step up from the old car I was driving, which we're going to "sell" to a junkyard, I think.

I feel compelled (because I am a Christian minister) to write something spiritual about the use of money, resources, etc. But I think I won't.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home