Thursday, February 02, 2006

Geshe Lhakdor

Yesterday I had the great honor of eating with Geshe Lhakdor. He's an assistant to His Holiness the Dalai Lama. Well, not just me, but several chaplains and social workers. He answered our questions for about an hour and a half.

I was amazed at how the ethical teachings of Buddhism are so close to Christianity. When Buddhism looks at a person and says -- there is a good person, that's the way people should behave -- it's almost the exact same thing as Christianity. I did not expect that.

However the motivation and path to such living is diametrically opposed to Christianity. I'm sure glad I don't have that pressure.

When asked about holy wars, he responded, "If you take a knife and chop a piece of flesh out of a daughter and offer it to her mother, will the mother be pleased?"

5 Comments:

Blogger nickg said...

uhmmm...no...?

11:56 AM, February 02, 2006  
Blogger Jon said...

dont try changing the subject on us, Mr Lhakdor! we're talking about holy wars!

2:18 PM, February 02, 2006  
Blogger William Sofield said...

Perhaps I was unclear. The reference is interpretted this way -- If we start a war in the name of God (or Jesus), and kill other people, will God be pleased? The people we kill are his children, bearers of his image and likeness. I think the illustration is apt and powerful even if you disagree.

8:33 AM, February 06, 2006  
Blogger Jon said...

sorry, i was being sarcastic. I guess it didnt come across that way.

5:20 PM, February 07, 2006  
Blogger William Sofield said...

jonponder,
my first instinct was that you were being sarcastic, but then . . . sometimes it is hard to convey sarcasm in written text. So much of sarcasm is communicated in voice tone. Anyway, i thought I'd clarify for those who were unsure, nickg?

11:00 AM, February 09, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home