Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Harry Potter is a Christian

I've been reading a bunch of John Granger's stuff on Harry Potter. Amazing! Take a look at a post from a few weeks ago, here.

Well, Katherine and I own the first two books in paperback, but they're falling apart (more from improper handling than much good use). So, we ordered all 6 in hardback form, the first 5 from used book dealers over the internet, good prices! They just started coming in. I just started re-reading book 4 last night. Got through about 140 pages of Goblet of Fire. Wow! I'm seeing stuff I never saw before. I am absolutely convinced that Rowling is writing for the purpose of advancing the gospel of Christ. It is what C. S. Lewis talked about when he described the task of good novels -- preparing the soul to hear the gospel, plowing the hard dry ground so that when the seed is sown, it will take root.

And -- it's a great story with tons of fun, really stirs the imagination!

3 Comments:

Blogger Adam Tisdale said...

Strong statements here, but I wouldn't expect anything less from you. Do you expect this to be more clear with Book #7? By the way, I am a fan of HP as well.

1:14 PM, August 03, 2005  
Blogger William Sofield said...

I think it is clear now, for those who have eyes to see. Rowling has college degrees in the Classics and French. She's drawing on imagery from Greek and Medieval literature to make her points. Some stuff is easy to see, though. In every book, Harry has a figurative death and resurrection -- in the first book he rises 3 days after the "death." All the Classical and Medieval scholars who have read Harry Potter are noting the connections.

Further, Rowling herself said that if she talked much about her faith (which she says is Christian, and more specifically, Church of Scotland, presbyterian) than any reader, young or old, would be able to tell the end of the story. She wants to keep the readers guessing, but for those of us who know the Christian faith informed by medieval and classical scholars, we know what she's doing.

7:08 AM, August 04, 2005  
Blogger James Diggs said...

I enjoyed your comments on Harry Potter, both in this post and the previous one. My wife and I are also Christians and fans of Harry Potter. I would agree with you that all the outrage from some Christians is uncalled for. At the same time I am not sure I could go as far as saying that Harry Potter was written “for the purpose of advancing the gospel of Christ.” At least I do not think this was Rowling’s purpose, yet God may have other plans. I can believe that Rawling may have been influenced by her Presbyterian heritage and it comes through in the book, like many other things her life she may have been influenced by. I also can believe you can find some real spiritual truth’s in the books, because all truth is God’s truth. But I do not think it was Rawling’s intent to write a Christian Parable like C.S. Lewis. I do think that Christians can use the truths found in Harry Potter as a bridge to share the truth of the gospel. Whether it was Rawling’s intent or not, I would a agree with you that God can use it for “preparing the soul to hear the gospel, plowing the hard dry ground so that when the seed is sown, it will take root.” Thank you for the insight into some of the symbolism in the books, I look forward to reading more.

7:38 AM, August 04, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home