Tuesday, November 22, 2005

HPGOF

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Katherine and I saw this movie last weekend. I was happy mostly. I especially liked how they set up Neville for the next movie. The final scene was terrific, the special effects were awesome. The movie is definately worth seeing, especially for fans. I'd be curious to talk to somebody who has not read the book, but saw the movie -- did you understand what was going on?

My biggest problem with the movie -- a couple times they betrayed the fantasy genre. At the Yule ball, there was a rock band! What was that?

2 Comments:

Blogger James said...

Yeah I really liked it! Dad, Sarah, Nick and I went to see the sneek prevew and I really liked it. I also went with a friend for his B-Day and it was just as good. Note; it was one of my favorite books. I think it was really well done!

10:56 PM, November 22, 2005  
Blogger nickg said...

I liked it, but because #4 is by-far my favorite book in the series, the movie had a lot to live up to. I liked it, I didn't love it. I thought the movie was forced, for the sake of time, to try to convey too much background information too quickly, which in turn squeezed out time for character development.

In the book, the kids and especially Harry (and the reader) really begin to love Mad-Eye Moody. So, when he turns out to be an enemy it is especially revolting and shocking--it's really masterfully done. In the movie, I think they begin dropping hints that Moody is no good really early. But, even if you don't catch them, you haven't had time to really connect with the character yet so his being a traitor isn't all that tough to swallow.

I too would love to hear from someone who never read the book. I guess Jim McGarry, who fits that bill, said he liked the movie and didn't have a lot of problems with it.

I wasn't too upset by the rock band. I know there is mention in the books at least a couple of times of some kind of popular music group in the Wizarding world. Though, I don't know if it's mentioned in connection with the Yule ball.

p.s. I sent you an e-mail bro.

5:21 AM, November 23, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home