Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Walk the Line

I saw Walk the Line last night with my wife. Wow. One of the best movies I've ever seen. I loved it. I'm usually a hard critic, too.

Amazingly accurate to Cash's autobiography. The "live" performances of his music were incredible. You should see this in the theater, don't wait for it to come on DVD unless you can rival the theater in sound (and in picture, I guess). Pheonix and Witherspoon were marvelous.

Men will like this movie more than women, I think.

I connected with this movie on so many levels. My wife and I talked about it for hours afterward, and it brought out so many family / childhood / relational issues for us.

A Cuban friend of mine (who is a Cash fan) told me he took his father to see Johnny Cash in concert live in the mid 1970s. He told me his father had never heard of Cash before, and had never listened to music with English lyrics before. His father instantly became a big Cash fan. This same friend took his wife (never listens to Cash music) to see the movie. She is now very interested in Johnny Cash and his music and his life.

After the movie, my wife wants to learn more about Cash, his music, his life. The movie ends abruptly -- perhaps for this reason. I would predict that Cash will be more famous and influential after death than before -- and that is a bold statement.

Best movie of the year, no doubt.

Go see it, and tell me what you think.

1 Comments:

Blogger nickg said...

We saw it too, opening weekend. I completely agree that it was a great movie. I plan to do my own review soon, if I get a chance. I do think "Ray" was better (have you seen it?), but maybe if I saw "Walk the Line" first, I would have a different view.

12:35 PM, November 30, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home