Monday, April 24, 2006

A Word from Bilbo

Last week I conducted two memorial services for a friend who killed himself on Palm Sunday. I'm still wrestling with it. When I described my friend as a "wanderer" it struck home with most folks, including his mother. In my homily I quoted the first two lines of a beautiful song by Bilbo Baggins at the Council of Elrond. It expresses my great and only hope in this world.

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken:
The crownless again shall be king.

4 Comments:

Blogger nickg said...

I'm sorry for your loss Willy. You and Katherine are always in our prayers, and we'll pray for the Lord's comfort to be real to you in this as well.

I too am thankful that there are artists like Master Tolkien who can express truth in ways that theologians (like me) cannot.

2:49 PM, April 24, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey willy, found myself doing some virtual wandering tonight... remembered you hang out here some times... I visit google's online community - orkut - sometimes - that's a favorite brazilian hang out - stay in touch with family and friends. when you quoted tolkien the other day I had not realized it was through bilbo's mouth. thanks again for your good ministry. you're good at what you do. rs

9:31 PM, April 25, 2006  
Blogger William Sofield said...

Thanks, nickg (my friend), rs (my boss), and rks (my dad). Great encouragement from all.

8:25 AM, April 27, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too am sorry as well my friend. Peace, Jose

4:51 PM, April 29, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home