Tuesday, March 14, 2006

New Running Shoes

Last May I competed in Miami's 5K Corporate Run. I plan to do so this year, but I'll know better what to expect, and try to get in the right starting position this time.

Last night I bought the most expensive pair of shoes I've ever worn. My knees are a starting to be a bit sensitive and I've always worn cheap (but name brand) shoes. I've never really had comfortable running shoes, and I understand that people find comfort in particular brands. So far, I've tried Nike, Reebok and New Balance. Not really comfortable for me. So, I decided to try a new brand (hoping for comfort) and a better quality than I'm used to (hoping for no pain in the knees). I went with the Asics Kayano XI, which is now out of production, but you can see its successor here.

I'll run this afternoon for the first time on them, and I don't expect them to be comfortable for a few weeks. If anyone's interested in a review next month, respond here and I'll post one.

3 Comments:

Blogger nickg said...

as a one time avid distance runner, I promise that a good pair--and the right pair--of shoes makes all the difference. my shoe of choice was always Saucony.

since I was fairly accomplished as a runner in high school, I'm enamored with the idea of starting again, but I don't find the actual activity enjoyable anymore. I've found I need more interactive activity now--tennis, basketball, golf, etc. but I hope your new shoes serve you well

12:58 PM, March 14, 2006  
Blogger William Sofield said...

Thanks, nickg. Part of what I enjoy about running now is the interaction. On the treadmill, there are lots of regulars who have become (and are becoming) my friends, and we have regular training sessions running around the lake at my hospital, we run together.

If I were by myself, I think it would be very demotivating for me to run.

I looked into Saucony -- if the Asics don't work out, I may go that direction, but it will be a while, at least.

1:07 PM, March 14, 2006  
Blogger nickg said...

good point...i bet part of the reason i liked running in high school is that i was part of a team and we shared a lot of camradarie along with competition.

3:53 PM, March 14, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home