Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Diversity

I am the only chaplain at Baptist Hospital of Miami who is from the United States. My fellow chaplains are from the Philippines, Korea, Cuba, India and Brazil. Other folks from sister hospitals (with whom I work occasionally) are from South Africa, Jamaica, Nigeria, and Columbia (and a few from the USA). We speak 13 languages. Occasionally we have events where each person brings a traditional dish of food from the cultural group they represent. It's great. I love it.

And, Cuban coffee is the best. I've tried it in the North, and it is not the same. For coffee lovers, you must come to Miami and have Cuban coffee made by Cubans using freshly ground Cuban coffee. It's the best.

4 Comments:

Blogger nickg said...

what "traditional dish" do you bring? I would bring: breakfast cereal, or grilled cheese sandwiches, or frozen pizza.

Cuban coffee is the best. I miss it.

1:50 PM, February 22, 2006  
Blogger William Sofield said...

I bring Chili. Katherine makes a great Chili and that works well.

American cuisine is not so great, but we've got better stuff than breakfast cereal and frozen pizza, I think.

Potato salad, turkey stuffing, corn bread, casseroles. But, in these kinds of circumstances, I usually load up my plate with things not from the USA.

4:05 PM, February 22, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would make peanut butter stepping stones. Willy, do you remember those cookies Janet from the library Makes? Peanut butter smeared between 2 Ritz crackers, dipped halve way in white chocolate, halve way in milk chocolate. MMMMM....

8:38 PM, February 25, 2006  
Blogger William Sofield said...

suzanne, oh, yes! Katherine has made those a few times since we've been here. I think our country makes great desserts.

11:29 AM, February 28, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home