Monday, March 20, 2006

Da Vinci Code

I've been getting lots of questions recently about The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown. Tim Keller spoke about it at length (and the closing, climactic illustration was read from Harry Potter) in last week's sermon. The big movie is coming soon. I'm thinking of doing a lecture on it, like a Schaeffer Institute thing. I haven't read the novel yet. There are so many, many books that seek to denounce the validity of Brown's theory, I want to be careful not to use a straw man argument, but as best as I can tell, Brown has, in fact, created his own straw man. The actual thing is pretty easy to knock over, if you know your church history, or art history, or political history, or cultural history in general.

Any thoughts? Would any of my readers be interested in such a lecture (whether or not you could attend)? If it would be helpful to you, it might be helpful to others, too. If not, I won't bother with it.

1 Comments:

Blogger nickg said...

Brown's "arguement" is bad enough...if only it was presented in a well-written novel!

I've read the book, but none of the responses. The book is trite, manipulative, and cliche ridden. Sure, though, I'd be interested in a critique of the theory in the book.

As you know, I hope to be a church history professor some day (or something like that). I've long suspected that I will need to raise my competence in art history (which stands at about a 4 on a scale of 1 - 100) in order to do justice to my main interest.

3:11 PM, March 22, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home