Wednesday, January 11, 2006

David and Goliath

My pastor will be on vacation January 29, so he's asked me to preach. I think I'll preach on David and Goliath. I taught it recently in my series on 1 Samuel, for the first time. I take a very redemptive-historical approach, which is refreshing compared with all the moralistic interpretations of the story. I had several people who had been "in church" for 40+ years tell me that they never heard it explained this way, but they were absolutely convinced that I was right and they've been taught wrongly before. For months afterward, people are still talking about that lesson. As I've reflected on it, it was pretty good, but I could make it much better, and I think I will.


Image hosted by Photobucket.com
David met het hoofd van Goliath, by 16th century painter, Caravaggio

2 Comments:

Blogger nickg said...

I think for most Christians, most of the time, (certainly not for all of us, always) it is a real joy to be corrected in our understanding of Scripture or the Gospel. Even though we can convince ourselves of the sensibility of an inaccurate understanding/interpretation, when a competent and faithful preacher or teacher teaches the truth of God's Gospel in the Scripture the Holy Spirit is active with power and the Word of God becomes a Word of Life to us. Sure, there is pain any time we are forced to admit we were wrong, and our sin always muddies our perception and understanding, but I think that's why your class had(/is having) such a powerful reaction.

11:38 AM, January 11, 2006  
Blogger William Sofield said...

Thanks for the encouragement, nickg. I think you're right on, as usual.

10:11 AM, January 12, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home